Wednesday, February 3, 2016

TPPA, Waitangi Day & Other First World Problems

Today a whole lot of people in Auckland will stroll along in the sun to the Convention Centre, singing songs and waving their gladioli, to welcome visitors to Aotearoa.

Further up the line about a dozen Tangata Whenua are a bit hot and bothered - again! - about the Prime Minister visiting Waitangi.

Meanwhile dozens and dozens will enjoy the day - and ignore the Prime Minister - but in turn their enjoyment will be overlooked by the media.

Many of us don't care what John Key or the Government - or any politicians - do on Waitangi Day.

Plus ca change plus ca meme chose (and please excuse the lack of accents but I don't know how to do them on the blog).

That's those issues done and dusted then. If you want to get up to speed on the TPPA with facts as opposed to speculation, I suggest you read Stephen Jacobi's article from Monday's Herald:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11582655

Why are these first world problems? Go to Vietnam and see how thousands of people will be lifted out of poverty by their country being able to trade freely with 11 other nations. That's if it finally eventuates.

We are the lucky ones. We don't desperately need this deal, with our fridges, tap water, stoves, sanitation. It's a nice-to-have.

Enough lecturing.

Tomorrow is (cough cough) a day when I hurtle startlingly closer to heading down to WINZ and signing up for Winston's Gold Card. So tonight Mr C is whisking me off over the hills and far away to a secret destination, I know not where.

I have only been told to scrub up out of my vineyard tar, wear something posh, be ready and waiting in the capital city at 8.15 where I know I shall be given a right royal.........spoiling, you dirty minded you. What did you think I was going to say?

We won't be taking any notice of this lemon-lipped tart:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/12136938/Do-as-I-do-think-about-cancer-before-you-have-a-glass-of-wine-says-chief-medical-officer.html?fb_ref=Default

You may not hear from me for a few days. It's my birthday. It's all about me.










1 comment:

  1. Ha, I've had access to Mrs H's Gold Card for some years. It's great; I view it as a tax rebate. Can get almost 1/3 off most computer gear, and that's just the start.

    Enjoy your evening :)

    ReplyDelete